Thursday, September 5, 2013

Welcome Everyone!

I hope you find this blog an exciting place to keep updated on what goes on behind the scenes in speech and occupational therapy here at CCUSD #1!  My name is Margaret Marsaglia, and I am the new speech-language pathologist in the district.  I currently provide speech-language services at the Early Childhood Center and the High School.  Before graduating in May 2013, I completed my education externship at the ECC, so I am excited to be back in Coal City as an employee!

The start of my therapy has been focusing on the theme "Speech is Super!"  Using super heroes such as Spiderman, Superman, and Super Girl, kids are learning to "Be safe, responsible, and respectful!"  They are also learning to be a good friend to one another, and to listen and speak well.


To go along with the Super Hero theme, students had the opportunity to create their own super heroes during the first week of speech therapy.  Everyone got to pick out all of the different parts to build their super heroes, which included suits, capes, masks, and symbols.  Many kids chose to use elements that reminded them of their favorite super heroes, while also choosing parts that represent their own unique personalities (such as picking out a mask that is their favorite color).  I have so many creative super heroes that are now flying around on my walls!





During these first full weeks of school, various Super Hero games have also been played, including articulation and vocabulary board games.  It has been a great way to target speech sounds and language goals while still getting to play a game that is fun and features super heroes.  I have really enjoyed getting to know all the kids, and look forward to many more weeks of fun therapy activities to share!

Margaret

No comments:

Post a Comment