Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Welcome back friends!  I'm excited to be starting off another school year with the students, staff, and parents of Coal City Unit District #1.  My name is Jen Swanson and I am the occupational therapist for the district.

I have the pleasure of serving the entire district and enjoy the opportunity to work with students in all of our buildings.  Occupational therapy is a profession founded on the belief that people are healthiest when occupied with meaningful activity.  It is my job to help students to achieve functional skills and independence in performing activities within the school setting that help them to be successful in all they do at school.


Here is a little info about me.  I earned my undergraduate degree in Occupational Therapy from the University of Missouri--Columbia and my master's degree from the University of Indianapolis.  I have worked in the district for 10 years now (WOW!), 7 years with Grundy County Special Education Cooperative and the last 3 years as a district employee.  Areas of concentration for professional growth for me include sensory integration, visual impairments, and assistive technology.



I believe in the potential of all of our students no matter their level of ability.  I love supporting them and challenging them to become the best they can possibly be and helping them find joy in their journey.  Please continue to check back on this space for updates about what the students are getting up to in therapy as well as helpful information about supporting their growth.  I'm looking forward to an adventure-filled year!


No comments:

Post a Comment